Sunday, August 16, 2009

My First Weekend

Well here we are, I have recently just returned from Golden Lake.

After packing up I headed out on Hunt Club road to 416 to the 417 North towards renfrew. The trip started great, I mean the truck was really a sweet vehicle to drive. It is BMW quiet inside, I can hear the exhaust when I have no music on. The tire and wind noise is surprisingly little, even at highway speeds. I was able to give it some go to merge onto the 416 and man did it deliver! The 3v SOHC 4.6L V8's 292 horses can really send htis vehicle moven in a hurry. The 6 speed tranny shifts a little tight right now, but for the first 1600km it will and adjust to my driving over time. It shifts a bit early into 2nd for a heavy foot, I have a bit of a heavy foot when I drive so it will settle down as it breaks in and adjusts.

I was really enjoying the ride, I fine tuned the seat adjustments that I set at the dealer, but I began to notice my back starting to hurt, thinking it was just due to new seats I gave it little thought. But by Renfrew my back was genuinely hurting and it was more then just stiff leather seats that need some break in use. So I pulled into Tims and grabebd the manual, I found that the lumbar support had been pushed all the way out, I mean WAAAY out hehe. So I adjusted it, and grabbed a coffee (that is law you see, you MUST get a coffee when ever you pass within a few km of a Tim's).

What a change, by the end of the trip my back was much better and has not bothered me since. So many adjustments means it is much harder to get the perfect fit, but when you do, it is heaven. I had to pass a slow driver on the way and holy cow, I have read reviews that said the truck lacked punch or the engine and tranny lacked performance, but hell I gave it less then to the floor and I jumped from about 70km to 140km in no time flat, I could not believe it, I am sure I could have hit 180 in the time it took to get passed the car. I guess the reviews had just stepped out of a Mustang and forgot that the Sport Trac is a truck after all and will not match that kind of performance.

I pulled into the lake and my Mother and Step father came out to meet me and see the new truck. I unpacked and headed over with it to show my cousin Burke who is just a few properties down (we are many family properties in a row). He of course works for Ford, and was very impressed with it. Everyone there liked it and of course I was willing to show it off (Hey, after what I paid? I think I am entitled to a little selffish pleasure).

Saturday my parents went to TO for a cousins wedding along with many of the family. I left before 7am to go fishing, 40 degree weather does not bode well for fishing even in the mornings or night, but I was able to snag a solid 2.5lbs+ Smallie and a 3ish lbs pike after a few hours. The Bass really put on the fight.

I then proceeded to grab my cousin Aaron (Burke's son) and his three friends up for a 4 day weekend of fun and headed into metropolis Killaloe to have breakfast at Del's Dinner. The breakfast was supurb as usual and I had the hungry man (3eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, home fries, 3 peices of toast and home baked beans) colestofest. I then had to go get gas for the boat and some items at the in town freshmart. Enjoyed the short drive.

On Sunday I decided to kick it up and go for a long drive through some of the scenic back roads to put some KM on the new truck and get a feel for it. Man oh man was it a dream to drive. It gripped the road way nicely and for such a big vehicle has much less body roll then my previous Escapes. In fact that brings up a point I would like to make, contrtary to the reviews it handles exceptionally well for a truck. Now it's not my old 280ZX, but for such a big vehicle it really handled well, and even when pushed a bit around a fairly tight turn it held on and pulled through admirably. I am not sure if the Adrenalin package includes stiffer suspension or a sport tuning of the suspensuion but it sure feels that way.

I put on a few hundred KMs on the drive and now it was time to pay the piper. 50 bucks got me filled back up, though I wasn't empty or anything, just wanted to top it up anyway. I headed back to the trailer, thoroughly putting to bed any doubt in my mind as to me liking the new truck.

Sunday late afternoon around 5pm I headed home to Ottawa and arrived back here at 7:15pm. traffic on Hwy 60 was aweful slow and though 60 moved OK it was backed up for a good 20KM at Arnprior due to the traffic lights on Hwy 17.

The conclusion:

The 2010 Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin is one DAMN fine vehicle. It is luxury car smooth and quiet, with SUV capabilties with it's AWD and truck capacity with it's 1500lbs bed carrying capacity and 7000lbs tow rating. The best if all worlds, rolled into one vehicle. It is also one drop dead sexy truck that turns heads at every stop, it sounds like a slightly muted Mustang and just screams performance. Of course it is more flash then dance, but that's OK with me, I am not 19 anymore I am pushing 40. Those old days of "speed > all" are gone, now I demand performance, style with comfort and utility. The Sport Trac Adrenalin delivered on all beyond expectation.

I think Ford really missed out by not aggressively marketing such a vehicle, almost no one knows what it is, even after seeing it they still stare with awe "Wow I have never seen this before!". Although it sold OK initially it really dropped off significantly over time to now where is it barely a blip on their sales radar. Almost no one knows of it, even those to who track trucks, and this is Ford's failing. It is hard to sell a vehicle no one has heard of. Burke introduced me when it was released and I got so see and drive his he leased. I think if Ford put even a small effort into marketing it would have been a decent seller even now. The XLT base model is no where near a normal base truck with tons of features and the limited is very sweet both with available 4x4 (including 4x4 low). The Adrenalin is a street truck for a guy like me who wants sporty and utility with AWD.

Well next up is D&D night. With my friends reactions, and hopefully donations to my continued desire to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment